Motlop

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: Motlop

Postby saint6709 » Sat 23 Sep 2017 1:36pm

Junior wrote:Can't believe the bagging of Motlop, would walk into our side.

We have a side lacking X factor, pace and skills he addresses these three things and we would not have to trade for him.

Seems like a no brainer to me get him is a free agent it would be nothing other than a bonus.


I tend to agree with you there - I think his price might have just gone up a bit after his finals campaign
saint6709
Club Player
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue 22 Sep 2009 8:23am

Re: Motlop

Postby st.rick » Sat 23 Sep 2017 1:53pm

Some players always play better in the big games, He seems to be one of them get him if we can at a good price ofcourse :)
st.rick
Club Player
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 10:39pm
Location: Ballarat

Re: Motlop

Postby Joffa Burns » Sat 23 Sep 2017 5:14pm

A free agent with pace and skill and like breaking qualities - yes please!
Walks into our best 15 and has a difference of skills that we are badly lacking.
To the top wrote:And. just to finish, in regards to Unions they are actually a collective of individuals who have a common bond being their vocation.
Joffa Burns
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3321
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 5:48pm
Location: I stand 196mm and speak in a high pitch voice like a jockey!

Re: Motlop

Postby loris » Sat 23 Sep 2017 5:36pm

The last 2 games he's played have been noteworthy. As a Geelong supporting friend of mine whose hubby is on the Geelong Committee said....... "rarely will Motlop play 2 consistently good games, he must be trying to up his market $ as the word at Geelong is he is one to trade".

So either Motlop is either trying to convince Geelong to stick with him, or he is attempting to get his price in the market pushed up a little with other Clubs.
loris
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Tue 22 Jan 2008 5:41pm

Re: Motlop

Postby MickThomas » Sat 23 Sep 2017 5:42pm

born 12 March 1991,
he's only 26, and at his height and weight,
barring injury, he could play another 5-6 years?
4 years at the very least...
Could very well add some much needed zip to the club.

He would be in the best 22, in my opinion
Con Gorozides isn't a troll, he has opinions like we all do.
If you disagree with him and attack personally
rather than use logic and facts,
you're either lazy or your comment can be viewed as trolling.
MickThomas
Club Player
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon 21 Aug 2017 1:23am
Location: Doncaster, Victoria

Re: Motlop

Postby Trev from the Bush » Sat 23 Sep 2017 10:12pm

Clearly Cats best in all three finals in my book. Importantly, played his heart out and ran his ring off even when they were done. Remember his huge last qtr agqinst us at Etihad a couple of years ago? We had the Cats on toast until he tore us apart. We were luck to get away with a draw.

He has the ability to turn games as well as win them, something too rare on our list. He and the Saints could be major players in working a way for the Cats to get Stringer / Ablett. Might not cos us the world in that circumstance.
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2011 4:24pm
Location: Australia

Re: Motlop

Postby Wayne42 » Sat 23 Sep 2017 10:56pm

Motflop is way too inconsistent, that is why Geelong want to trade him, i hope the Bulldogs pine for him more than we do , hopefully, the Saints, the club know reality, rather than the know all about nothing supporters. :lol:
User avatar
Wayne42
Club Player
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon 24 Jun 2013 10:27pm

Re: Motlop

Postby Con Gorozidis » Sat 23 Sep 2017 11:00pm

Wayne42 wrote:Motflop is way too inconsistent, that is why Geelong want to trade him, i hope the Bulldogs pine for him more than we do , hopefully, the Saints, the club know reality, rather than the know all about nothing supporters. :lol:


Not completely true.
He is a FA.He can walk.

They have offered him a contract I think?
Geelong have much bigger problems on their list than Motlop.
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 22643
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: Motlop

Postby Wayne42 » Sat 23 Sep 2017 11:08pm

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Motflop is way too inconsistent, that is why Geelong want to trade him, i hope the Bulldogs pine for him more than we do , hopefully, the Saints, the club know reality, rather than the know all about nothing supporters. :lol:


Not completely true.
He is a FA.He can walk.

They have offered him a contract I think?
Geelong have much bigger problems on their list than Motlop.


As long as we don't get sucked in by Motflop i'll be happy.
User avatar
Wayne42
Club Player
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon 24 Jun 2013 10:27pm

Re: Motlop

Postby Con Gorozidis » Sat 23 Sep 2017 11:35pm

Wayne42 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Motflop is way too inconsistent, that is why Geelong want to trade him, i hope the Bulldogs pine for him more than we do , hopefully, the Saints, the club know reality, rather than the know all about nothing supporters. :lol:


Not completely true.
He is a FA.He can walk.

They have offered him a contract I think?
Geelong have much bigger problems on their list than Motlop.


As long as we don't get sucked in by Motflop i'll be happy.


What if we get him for nothing?
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 22643
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: Motlop

Postby Wayne42 » Sat 23 Sep 2017 11:54pm

Gained nothing, lost nothng = the only positive of that scenario. ?
User avatar
Wayne42
Club Player
 
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon 24 Jun 2013 10:27pm

Re: Motlop

Postby parkeysainter » Sun 24 Sep 2017 12:57am

Op Get Motlop to the Saints!

I'm in.
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Motlop

Postby skeptic » Sun 24 Sep 2017 2:16am

Con Gorozidis wrote:
MickThomas wrote:My issue is that he is more cold than hot
and I doubt he'd bring anything valuable.

I would rather a younger more talented player who will
have more chance of getting better, rather than Motlop
who has more downside than upside


Played 3/3. Good finals including in two losses.

You might be correct but I just object to him being called a downhill skier. If anything - he coasts when they are winning.


Con you cannot be serious!!!


Motlop's game against Richmond was shocking. Did you even watch it?

When Richmond were up and about and Geelong had a chance to counter attack, on 2 (may be 3 occasions), Motlop got the ball forward of centre with players streaming forward and in all occasions...
He kicked it straight to a Tiger.

Under pressure, he lacks composure. He blazes.

Surely if you watched the Adelaide v Geelong game, you learned that good decision making in addition to speed, is what wins matches.

But for whatever reason, it appears you've already made your mind up about the kid. Your post with Motlops stats is a classic example of how ppl use them to twist an argument without context. You've picked a select sample size to make your point...

Look at Motlop overall... there's a reason he's a maligned player.

I would say that Shave Savage is equally as good
skeptic
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8685
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 7:10pm

Re: Motlop

Postby supersaints » Sun 24 Sep 2017 8:52am

If he played (effort wise) all the time like he has (since being told he was to be traded)... then Girlong would not be offering him up for trade.
It points out how lazy he really is. He rarely puts in the amount of effort required
And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Fri 18 May 2007 11:13am

Re: Motlop

Postby parkeysainter » Sun 24 Sep 2017 10:45am

Motlop started on the wing in a top 4 side in a prelim. He can't be too bad. Again, he would get a game in the Saints best 22 atm.

Give him a 2 year contract and let him prove himself. Its worth the punt and he can get picked up for not much.
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Motlop

Postby Impatient Sainter » Sun 24 Sep 2017 11:37am

I wouldnt be against offering him a contract $$$. His finals campaign was exceptional and exactly the type of link player we need. Perhaps a fresh start will inspire him to consistently show the same output as the finals.
Impatient Sainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue 05 Apr 2016 3:30pm

Re: Motlop

Postby fugazi » Sun 24 Sep 2017 2:43pm

Impatient Sainter wrote:I wouldnt be against offering him a contract $$$. His finals campaign was exceptional and exactly the type of link player we need. Perhaps a fresh start will inspire him to consistently show the same output as the finals.


And maybe it takes a few years for it to sink in, just what it takes to be a success.
His best is elite.
Nee!
fugazi
SS Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 2310
Joined: Thu 25 Mar 2004 2:47pm
Location: incarnate

Re: Motlop

Postby parkeysainter » Sun 24 Sep 2017 5:55pm

Looks like the Motlop train is gathering a bit of steam! :D
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Motlop

Postby saintsRrising » Sun 24 Sep 2017 6:44pm

loris wrote:The last 2 games he's played have been noteworthy. As a Geelong supporting friend of mine whose hubby is on the Geelong Committee said....... "rarely will Motlop play 2 consistently good games, he must be trying to up his market $ as the word at Geelong is he is one to trade".

So either Motlop is either trying to convince Geelong to stick with him, or he is attempting to get his price in the market pushed up a little with other Clubs.



Or maybe at 26 he is at last getting to be more consistent.

As FA he can just walk though and so while Geelong may wish to trade him if he wants go FA will more likely be a better path for him and the club that takes him.


I like his talent, but like many I would be concerned like you on his consistency and whether he has of fact come of age.
Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
User avatar
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 26538
Joined: Mon 15 Mar 2004 11:07am
Location: Off to St Kilda Scotland in 2018

Re: Motlop

Postby Yorkeys » Sun 24 Sep 2017 7:20pm

A reasonable performance in a side beaten by 11 goals. Crows didn't consider him worth much defensive effort. Whoever noted that Geelong know him and want to sell him noted well. Athletic but plenty are. Steven is not worth bothering about given we already have better - running sideways/across the field is not an elite skill unless you have Billy Slater backing up.
Yorkeys
Club Player
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue 13 Jun 2017 1:16pm

Re: Motlop

Postby saint6709 » Sun 24 Sep 2017 8:31pm

saintsRrising wrote:
loris wrote:The last 2 games he's played have been noteworthy. As a Geelong supporting friend of mine whose hubby is on the Geelong Committee said....... "rarely will Motlop play 2 consistently good games, he must be trying to up his market $ as the word at Geelong is he is one to trade".

So either Motlop is either trying to convince Geelong to stick with him, or he is attempting to get his price in the market pushed up a little with other Clubs.



Or maybe at 26 he is at last getting to be more consistent.

As FA he can just walk though and so while Geelong may wish to trade him if he wants go FA will more likely be a better path for him and the club that takes him.


I like his talent, but like many I would be concerned like you on his consistency and whether he has of fact come of age.


He is about the same age as Eddie Betts was when he left Carlton - he has potentially got a lot of good footy ahead of him still
saint6709
Club Player
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue 22 Sep 2009 8:23am

Re: Motlop

Postby parkeysainter » Mon 25 Sep 2017 6:17pm

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/25/ ... ays-robbo/

Looking more likely Cats will get Motlop out.
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Motlop

Postby thejiggingsaint » Mon 25 Sep 2017 6:42pm

Motlop's performances are WAY too inconsistent for mine. Attitude also decidedly sus.
Dream the impossible dream: Go Saints! (to hell with the rest!) :D
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8119
Joined: Wed 03 Aug 2005 10:01pm

Re: Motlop

Postby parkeysainter » Mon 25 Sep 2017 6:51pm

thejiggingsaint wrote:Motlop's performances are WAY too inconsistent for mine. Attitude also decidedly sus.


True but still worth a punt I reckon. Dangerfield spoke very highly of him and internally at Geelong he is valued for his x factor abilities. A change of club might do him wonders.

I think giving him a 2 year contract to prove himself isn't too big a risk. But won't be disappointed if the Saints don't get him either.
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Motlop

Postby stonecold » Mon 25 Sep 2017 6:55pm

parkeysainter wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Motlop's performances are WAY too inconsistent for mine. Attitude also decidedly sus.


True but still worth a punt I reckon. Dangerfield spoke very highly of him and internally at Geelong he is valued for his x factor abilities. A change of club might do him wonders.

I think giving him a 2 year contract to prove himself isn't too big a risk. But won't be disappointed if the Saints don't get him either.


I know Stevie pretty well and let me inform you in no un-certain terms, he's attitude is fine and he has held informal discussions with some at St.Kilda!!!!!

Informal conversation only, before posters get carried away!!!!!
'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!
stonecold
Club Player
 
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu 24 Sep 2015 3:12pm

PreviousNext

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DJ Higgins, Drake Huggins, Google [Bot], J-Boy061979, wasoncestkil58 and 19 guests