Paddy Concussed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy Concussed

Alastair Clarkson is an actual midget

Can he comment on how 'big men' play?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what the fuss is about. I too watched the replay about a dozen times. It's pretty obvious that McCartin should have turned his body side on. These type of injuries are EXACTLY why women who play the game keep getting knocked out - they don't know how to protect themselves properly. Paddy should have had the awareness that a player was approaching from his right as he attacked the ball. There's a fine line between between bravery and recklessness. He basically opened himself right up into the oncoming player's path. A slight turn of the shoulders as he reached the ball would have caused a free kick and nil serious injury. No doubt Paddy is brave but our game requires self preservation or you end up with a very limited time span in it.

Not sure we can be critical of Paddy when he goes for marks and knocks himself out. We need him going for his marks.

The club are obviously and rightfully being extremely cautious with him, but the most frustrating thing is that all it means is that if he does play next week it's in the VFL. We need him playing seniors asap to assess where he is at.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
The club are obviously and rightfully being extremely cautious with him, but the most frustrating thing is that all it means is that if he does play next week it's in the VFL. We need him playing seniors asap to assess where he is at.
I agree, but it seems that will not be happening while Riewoldt, Bruce and Membrey are earning their keep. A short-sighted decision I feel, even if they think we can win it this year.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:
I agree, but it seems that will not be happening while Riewoldt, Bruce and Membrey are earning their keep. A short-sighted decision I feel, even if they think we can win it this year.

He still has to earn his spot in the team. I think we can play all 4 - it would just mean that Roo plays up the ground. Paddy plays as much at home as possible whilst Bruce, Members and Roo are the moving fwds with Roo more drifting in to mark rather than starting from the fwd line leading out.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Wow, people are resorting to threatening each other on this site!
Bring it on

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Moods wrote:

He still has to earn his spot in the team. I think we can play all 4 - it would just mean that Roo plays up the ground. Paddy plays as much at home as possible whilst Bruce, Members and Roo are the moving fwds with Roo more drifting in to mark rather than starting from the fwd line leading out.
I thought he'd been showing a bit before he was dropped to get Riewoldt back in. As for playing all four, the coach is on record as saying recently it is unlikely. I disagree with him ... I think you can play all four ... but that is what he said.

Upsets the balance I think he said.

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

supersaints wrote:Nice whack TOT ... and well deserved.

<warning for baiting>
Pretty bombastic at best.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The OtherThommo wrote:
BigMart wrote:It happened 5m from me, it was his poor technique that caused the contact.

No idea how to pick the footy up in a contest without going head first

As Danny Frawley said, he only had to turn his body.
That's what I was looking for. I read all this earlier today, went to the game, got home and sped through the replay, until I happened across a replay of McCartin having "no idea how to pick the footy up in a contest without going head first"...just to quote an expert.

Having sped up the replay, slowed it down, watched it about a dozen times, I don't give a rat's freckle if you claim to have been 3, 9, 27, 81 or 243 metres away, in the next postcode with a sniper's sight, or on the freakin' moon looking through the finest lens ever known, Marto, your description of what led to McCartin's head knock is complete and utter CRAP!!!

Don't care if you were standing in Spud's pocket, on his head, poking your beak out from behind his not necessarily barge arse for a man of his vintage, on top of the nearby box, absailing in off the bay breezes, in the act of landing after being dropped from a plane, or coming off 38 beers with Slobbo, you are WRONG!!

Mix naturally error prone eyesight, and we all have it, with the perversity of watching it from one angle, bundle that up with a preformed idea, and it's easy to get conned by what happens inside your own bonce.

Always doubt everything you see and read, until sufficiently corroborated to make you think that maybe you might have made a mistake, anyway.

He had to bend to take the pill, did so, didn't go to ground, and was dead stiff to cop a whack - it's that simple, and no amount of obfuscatory bulls*** about whether or not he shoulda, or shouldn'ta been, taken in the draft will change that.

I willingly fess up to being disdainful, contemptuous even, of those who may have played a CODE many, many years ago, at a suburban level, and may lay claim to having been 'involved' with some with participatory history at a higher level, or "had a chat' with such luminaries from time to time, as if such history provides such claimants with unimpeachable credibility.

It doesn't, and it gets damn boring, particularly when one sees evidence opposite to claims of the incompetence of others.

Shall I go back to your numerous statements about the inabilities of one Jack Billings?

You pontificate, and I'll watch and consider.
I have seen it for the first time myself and the immediate thing that sprang to mind was that it didn't match BM's description. You've covered it pretty well TOT. In regard to Billings, BM had plenty on here sharing his view of Billings, they've gone quiet now, yet it hasn't made them a bit more circumspect in regard to Paddy.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I read an intereesting post on BigFooty the other day that suggested that the AFL's 'head is sacrosanct' policy has caused young footballers to lead with their head a bit these days.

And also, the same policy has resulted in players not teaching themselves to protect their head as these days they generally aren't expecting head high contact.

I'd add to that, that a guy like McCartin that is always being told to 'crash the packs' doesn't have the tools to actually do that in modern footy like guys like Lockett had (ie. elbows, forearms, knees etc.). So when they 'crash a pack' they really just have to use their body as a battering ram and in most cases hurt themselves as much as the bloke in front of them.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote: .... when they 'crash a pack' they really just have to use their body as a battering ram and in most cases hurt themselves as much as the bloke in front of them.
I believe it is also a case of the kid being told that at an absolute minimum - impact the contest - hence the fine in the VFL and the same action of running into the back of the player when he could not mark it in the AFL.

I feel that we should be just letting him play - see what he brings to the table - not trying to 'manufacture' him into a mid/forward - he is a forward - let him play that way and see what we have!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Johnny Member wrote: .... when they 'crash a pack' they really just have to use their body as a battering ram and in most cases hurt themselves as much as the bloke in front of them.
I believe it is also a case of the kid being told that at an absolute minimum - impact the contest - hence the fine in the VFL and the same action of running into the back of the player when he could not mark it in the AFL.

I feel that we should be just letting him play - see what he brings to the table - not trying to 'manufacture' him into a mid/forward - he is a forward - let him play that way and see what we have!
Agree to an extent.

They do need to be careful that they don't restrict as a 'one position player' for the rest of his career though.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:

Agree completely. It certainly appears that he's acting under certain instructions. I'd be interested to hear from those that may have watched him play at TAC level - whether he's changed his style at all.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the comments above.
I think the coaches are telling him to 'crash packs and impact the contest'.

Just let the kid play. He looked the best when he was running around the half forward line imo.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
The Fireman wrote:His parents must be worried sick and if I were them I wouldn't let him play again
Spoke to his dad yesterday. He's concerned but not overly so. He has faith in the club medicos.
thanks for that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Wow, people are resorting to threatening each other on this site!
Bring it on
If you dont agree with me I am going to fart in your general direction.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just saw the incident.
Paddy just head butted the bloke in the knee.
Terrible technique.

saint-stu
Club Player

He made a mistake. Players make mistakes every single game. It's unfortunate what it has cost him, but I'm not sure we should be crucifying him for it. (2:35) http://m.afl.com.au/video/subscriptions ... 05030aRCRD

1ac46a38
shrodes
SS Life Member

saint-stu wrote:He made a mistake. Players make mistakes every single game. It's unfortunate what it has cost him, but I'm not sure we should be crucifying him for it. (2:35) http://m.afl.com.au/video/subscriptions ... 05030aRCRD
Think your link is broken, here it is
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-06-25/ ... er-vfl-hit

Looked more like he slipped than poor technique to me.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Just saw the incident.
Paddy just head butted the bloke in the knee.
Terrible technique.
Terrible post. He had no chance to turn his body or he would have.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Alastair Clarkson is an actual midget

Yes, cause he's an AFL Coach and been in the system for decades, if your comparing yourself to him well?????

Says much about where your at really!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
BigMart wrote:Alastair Clarkson is an actual midget

Yes, cause he's an AFL Coach and been in the system for decades, if your comparing yourself to him well?????

Says much about where your at really!!!!!
He could comment about the houli incident.
He knows all about punching unsuspecting players in the head

In red white and black from 73
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure I compared myself to Clarkson, you must let me know where I said that? It like you comparing yourself to a wrestler?
Is that a sport, or a theatre sport??

I made a counter point to your ridiculous assertion that little men (6 foot) can't comment about KPPs

When 80% of coaches are not KPPs or ruckmen?

A nonsensical comment

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW stoney

How are Longer and Paddy going? The two big boys you

Paddy is in the VFL - again

And Longer should be

Anyone with half a footy brain would agree with that, he has been disgusting recently, a 200cm bloke who can't take a grab, can't kick or find the footy... hmm...

Oh, Luke did have a good game on Sunday (for him)

stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:BTW stoney

How are Longer and Paddy going? The two big boys you

Paddy is in the VFL - again

And Longer should be

Anyone with half a footy brain would agree with that, he has been disgusting recently, a 200cm bloke who can't take a grab, can't kick or find the footy... hmm...

Oh, Luke did have a good game on Sunday (for him)
So now your saying our selectors don't even have half a brain, is that what your suggesting?????

stonecold
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Not sure I compared myself to Clarkson, you must let me know where I said that? It like you comparing yourself to a wrestler?
Is that a sport, or a theatre sport??

I made a counter point to your ridiculous assertion that little men (6 foot) can't comment about KPPs

When 80% of coaches are not KPPs or ruckmen?

A nonsensical comment
And I made a counter point suggesting midgets such as Al a more than qualified based on their experience, where as a smaller man such as yourself doesn't!!!!!