saints indigenous

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: saints indigenous

desertsaint wrote:No mention of Koby Stevens?
I'd forgotten that he had indigenous heritage. Does anyone know which indigenous community he comes from? I believe he hails from out Bairnsdale way, which could make him a Kurnai: who are very proud indigenous people with a strong record of standing up to the invasion of White settlers.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Really good map of all the current aboriginal players and where their tribes are in the Sunday age

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
poatina
Club Player

Back to footy and to point.....we also had Dale Kickett ,but unfortunately he didn't do much for us. He was a transformed player at Freo ,no idea why.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We had a number of others. We had one of the Krakourers for a season or so, Gavinv???? help me out here, memory lapse, did'nt one of Gilbert McAdams brother play for us for a short period?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda a pioneer for indigenous players
Luke Holmesby May 25, 2015 2:08 PM

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-05-2 ... us-players

The article lists all the indigenous players that had played for the Saints by 2015.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 28 May 2017 9:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
desertsaint wrote:No mention of Koby Stevens?
and on the trivia front, in the NT the term 'indigenous' is no longer to be used in government speech, documentation and correspondence - 'aboriginal' is the preferred term. This was actually adopted way back in 2009 by NACCHO.
At a members meeting in November 2009 it was resolved that the NACCHO refer to the term Aboriginal in all correspondence, speeches and cease use of the word Indigenous except in an International context.
So be careful in calling out others for outdated terminology, anyone can be guilty of it nowadays.
Really you want to call me out and protect another poster's appalling statement

If that is what you want then bring it
bring it? i'm not calling you out, but the amount of times i hear people whinging about other people's incorrect terminology without knowing their intent. i've heard city people come to the centre and admonish people for using blackfella, and instead themselves use koori. the former is okay here, the latter is not. another poster used the term Aborigine - another no no. In the end you don't insult others for getting it wrong, you simply correct them.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I didn't realise Koby was indigenous untill he went for the Toss with Gresh
Saints First indigenous player was Jimmy Wandin- there was a carnival named after him held in the Yarra Ranges at the weekend
Jim (Juby) Wandin, playing for the Healesville
football club in the Yarra Valley, was the first
aboriginal to play for St Kilda Football Club
in 1952/53 in the Victorian football league.
Memories of those times are still reflected
upon today
others are
Eric Clarke
Raph Clark
Heath Black?
Terry Mierla
Ross Tungatalum never made it- rookie
Bob Jones
Charles
Campbell
Nick Winmar played a couple
Allan Murray

and we now also have Ben Long

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:We had a number of others. We had one of the Krakourers for a season or so, Gavinv???? help me out here, memory lapse, did'nt one of Gilbert McAdams brother play for us for a short period?
Greg McAdam, kicked all our goals one day against Carlton at Moorabbin.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
borderbarry wrote:We had a number of others. We had one of the Krakourers for a season or so, Gavinv???? help me out here, memory lapse, did'nt one of Gilbert McAdams brother play for us for a short period?
Greg McAdam, kicked all our goals one day against Carlton at Moorabbin.
I think that may have been a total of just 3 goals. We must have lossed by 20 or so goals that day. Was it in 1985?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Premium89
Club Player

Proph3t of egan wrote:
Premium89 wrote:
Proph3t of egan wrote:
saintbob wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:How Aboriginal is Gresh? Must be only a quarter at best I reckon - he's olive skinned at best
WTF, in today's society that is such a s*** thing to say and totally unacceotable.
You know I always thought that the abnormally large crime rates, unemployment rates and alcoholism rates facing the aboriginal communities and the failure of our government since its inception to take action to try and fix what it caused was unacceptable, but some guy in the internet whosaid something a little bit ignorant is truly unacceptable and where I draw the line
Both facets of your post are unacceptable and should not be tolerated. Surely calling out attitudes like this isn't a bad thing?
How is calling out some major problems unacceptable? Do you think that aboriginals are treated fairly and equally? If they aren't shouldn't we be doing something as Australians? The idea that you think it's unacceptable to have a discussion about something as important as this is wrong, just plain wrong

Furthermore, what people are doing isn't calling out, saintspremier said something that 20 years ago was acceptable, but nowadays isn't, that doesn't make it ok, I want to make that clear, but that comes down to a lack of education about aboriginal culture from a young age that is still not happening today.

Also, as a young person the reactions to his posts are what makes people in my age consider the far and alt-right 'cool' and 'edgy'. The instant reply of 'what the f$&@ is wrong with you' is not how discussion takes place. It's just as easy to say, 'hey, being aboriginal is more than just skin colour'. There not only are you not antagonising people away from your point of view, but your also creating awareness. This way of thinking is what gets Donald trump and Pauline Hanson elected.

Rant over
My bad, I meant that both parts of your first post - both the attitude and the major problems - are both equally unacceptable, and both should be called out.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

My wife May I repeat may have an aboriginal ancestor about 4 generations ago. So if she decided she was aboriginal then she is aboriginal?

Stop saying this 1960's nonsense. People of all races inter marry. To say someone who has a small fraction of their bloodline is one race 100% makes no sense. I have no problem with people thinking what they like - that's their choice - just stating facts.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Proph3t of egan
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:My wife May I repeat may have an aboriginal ancestor about 4 generations ago. So if she decided she was aboriginal then she is aboriginal?

Stop saying this 1960's nonsense. People of all races inter marry. To say someone who has a small fraction of their bloodline is one race 100% makes no sense. I have no problem with people thinking what they like - that's their choice - just stating facts.
Being aboriginal isn't a race though, so if your wife identifies as aboriginal, then she is

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Premium89 wrote:
Proph3t of egan wrote:
Premium89 wrote:
Proph3t of egan wrote:
saintbob wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:How Aboriginal is Gresh? Must be only a quarter at best I reckon - he's olive skinned at best
WTF, in today's society that is such a s*** thing to say and totally unacceotable.
You know I always thought that the abnormally large crime rates, unemployment rates and alcoholism rates facing the aboriginal communities and the failure of our government since its inception to take action to try and fix what it caused was unacceptable, but some guy in the internet whosaid something a little bit ignorant is truly unacceptable and where I draw the line
Both facets of your post are unacceptable and should not be tolerated. Surely calling out attitudes like this isn't a bad thing?
How is calling out some major problems unacceptable? Do you think that aboriginals are treated fairly and equally? If they aren't shouldn't we be doing something as Australians? The idea that you think it's unacceptable to have a discussion about something as important as this is wrong, just plain wrong

Furthermore, what people are doing isn't calling out, saintspremier said something that 20 years ago was acceptable, but nowadays isn't, that doesn't make it ok, I want to make that clear, but that comes down to a lack of education about aboriginal culture from a young age that is still not happening today.

Also, as a young person the reactions to his posts are what makes people in my age consider the far and alt-right 'cool' and 'edgy'. The instant reply of 'what the f$&@ is wrong with you' is not how discussion takes place. It's just as easy to say, 'hey, being aboriginal is more than just skin colour'. There not only are you not antagonising people away from your point of view, but your also creating awareness. This way of thinking is what gets Donald trump and Pauline Hanson elected.

Rant over
My bad, I meant that both parts of your first post - both the attitude and the major problems - are both equally unacceptable, and both should be called out.
Sorry about that that outburst, saw red a little. I agree that neither should be a thing nowadays,

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
Really are you living in 1965

That language is completely unacceptable

The Gresh identifies himself as indigenous and proud and that is all you need to know

To discuss in your terms is insulting and degrading

Fqf
Gresh's mum is indigenous. Didn't she have something to do with designing today's jumper, or am I dreaming?
Thanks WW for answering a simple question without lecturing

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

realling getting sick of all this racial political correctness ...it bogs up forums..here we are talking about footy and half of this thread is all about racial grandstanding ... posters offended by certain comments..people being attacked for innocuous comments ...bloody sick of it. this forum is turning into a pack of soft cocks who just cant wait to jump on somebody...s***s me.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

weird how they have gone from Indigenous back to Aboriginal.

Our first pick in the last two drafts have been Aboriginal boys. Can we make it three out of three?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

poatina wrote:Back to footy and to point.....we also had Dale Kickett ,but unfortunately he didn't do much for us. He was a transformed player at Freo ,no idea why.
Just another of the tragic mistakes made by the St Kilda football club.

Fletcher was another they let go the same year after playing finals. Both were really squeezed out of the club, in what were serious errors of judgement.

Both played over 20 games in 1992 out of a possible 24. Both were highly talent and good possession winners, in a game where the team that gets the most possessions usually wins.The saints really did the dirty on Fletcher when they tried to reduce his contract just before the draft deadline . He walked to Brisbane in the pre-season draft.

Kickett, who played 21 games, kicked 20 goals with Fletcher kicking 10 goals in his 22 games.

The saints who were on the rise in 1992 didn't recover from their loss and the loss through injury ton Dean Greig until 1995.