Paddy and the Gresh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Paddy and the Gresh

I think these two boys must be related.

Both have rubber in their DNA.

I have never seen footballs bounce off chests so far and so readily, at this standard.

Couple of rubber boys.

Funny, but I ain't laughing.

Breaks my heart. Can only imagine what it does to their team mates.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy and the Gresh

saynta wrote:I think these two boys must be related.

I have never seen footballs bounce off chests so far and so readily, at this standard.

Couple of rubber boys.

There are only two reasons why the ball bounces off your chest.
1. the ball slips through you hands and hits you on the chest
2. you tried to mark the ball on your chest and failed

Chest marking is a reliable form of marking for kids playing junior football, more reliable than marking in the hands.
But at AFL level you play against professional defenders who know they only need to wrap their arm around over your chest to prevent the mark.
Unlike in the juniors these professionals can execute the manoeuvre.
Both Paddy and Gresh need to start taking marks in their hands out in front of their bodies unless they are well clear of any opponents.
They are playing in the big time now.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Wow, criticising and mocking two of the youngest players on the list...

Some so called supporters

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Overall, both Paddy and Gresh played ok. Gresh probably could have done with a rest 3-4 weeks ago, but with the bye coming up I'm confident he'll continue to improve as a player. If all our mids were as talented as Gresh we'd be top 4.

The delivery into the forward line was woeful. We dominated the Insiide 50's in the first and half way through the second quarter but didn't have any reward for effort. pPaddy was still leading, marking and taking shots on goal late in the match which was a good sign. He was unlucky in the last quarter with that dropped mark in that he was unbalanced. Also, he hit the post in that last quarter so I reckon you're searching for scapegoats

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

For goodness' sake give these KIDS a BREAK!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

Couple of rubber boys.

Chest marking is a reliable form of marking for kids playing junior football, more reliable than marking in the hands.
But at AFL level you play against professional defenders who know they only need to wrap their arm around over your chest to prevent the mark.
Unlike in the juniors these professionals can execute the manoeuvre.
Both Paddy and Gresh need to start taking marks in their hands out in front of their bodies unless they are well clear of any opponents.
They are playing in the big time now.
And Billings. He also needs to extend the dukes and not try and mark on his chest all day.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

"Think of the children!"

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:For goodness' sake give these KIDS a BREAK!
It's a fair observation but one that should be eventually rectified

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:For goodness' sake give these KIDS a BREAK!
It's a fair observation but one that should be eventually rectified
Gotta say thanks SP.

Hope you are right.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Couple of rubber boys.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

maybe you can instruct them on how to do up their bootlaces.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:maybe you can instruct them on how to do up their bootlaces.

I'm sure I can teach them how to hang onto a chest mark ffs.

The Craw
Club Player

ace wrote:
Yes missed No. 3

Hits you on the chest and bounces off.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

saynta wrote:

When they're both guns and winning us games in a few years I hope you look back with a fair degree of embarrassment on how you slagged them off during their development, pretty crap supporting for mine...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
saynta wrote:

When they're both guns and winning us games in a few years I hope you look back with a fair degree of embarrassment on how you slagged them off during their development, pretty crap supporting for mine...

What a load of rubbish. Taking a chest mark is a basic skill that should have been mastered by the time a player is recruited at the top level of the game, not a skill still being developed

Time and time again I watched our mids work their arses off to get the ball into our forward line only to see our forwards fumble the ball like 10 year old unskilled footballers. And that is being unfair to ten year olds as my grandson would not have dropped some of those marks.

It was soul destroying.

No-one whats to see them succeed more than I and I hope like hell they do.

I don't need a lecture from the likes of you and i won't be looking in the future with any degree of embarrassment at all for telling the truth.

Talk about rose coloured glasses. The only one slagging off around here is you imho.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:
saynta wrote:

What a load of rubbish. Taking a chest mark is a basic skill that should have been mastered by the time a player is recruited at the top level of the game, not a skill still being developed

Time and time again I watched our mids work their arses off to get the ball into our forward line only to see our forwards fumble the ball like 10 year old unskilled footballers. And that is being unfair to ten year olds as my grandson would not have dropped some of those marks.

It was soul destroying.

I don't need a lecture from the likes of you and i won't be looking in the future with any degree of embarrassment at all for telling the truth.

Talk about rose coloured glasses. The only one slagging off around here is you imho.
Does your ten year old grandson play on far more experienced defenders with at least 5 years in him? Because as far as I know, that's who Paddy and fresh are playing on each week. Both have less then thirty games experience so of course they are not gonna be doing everything correctly with all that pressure.

Don't know about you, but I'm willing to let them get used to AFL level pressure

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Proph3t of egan wrote:
saynta wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:
saynta wrote:

It was soul destroying.

Does your ten year old grandson play on far more experienced defenders with at least 5 years in him? Because as far as I know, that's who Paddy and fresh are playing on each week. Both have less then thirty games experience so of course they are not gonna be doing everything correctly with all that pressure.

Don't know about you, but I'm willing to let them get used to AFL level pressure
I'm not going to get into an argument with you or anybody else or answer stupid questions.

The simple truth is both dropped chest marks at the weekend that you would expect players at their level and obvious class would have normally gobbled up.

Pressure wasn't a factor in any of the incidents apart from that created in their own minds. Just terrible sub standard skills.

I also have a news flash for you. They weren't the only ones whose skills were down on the weekend.

I reckon the coach would agree with me too.

End of discussion afaic.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Saynta

You are right in point you are making but don't expect people to want to hear what they don't want to hear

Regardless of its accuracy

Saint_J
Club Player

Couple of rubber boys.

last year if you had noticed all paddy did was cluck them. This year has been very opposite. Paddy will come good.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Proph3t of egan wrote:
saynta wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:
saynta wrote:

It was soul destroying.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you or anybody else or answer stupid questions.

The simple truth is both dropped chest marks at the weekend that you would expect players at their level and obvious class would have normally gobbled up.

Pressure wasn't a factor in any of the incidents apart from that created in their own minds. Just terrible sub standard skills.

I also have a news flash for you. They weren't the only ones whose skills were down on the weekend.

I reckon the coach would agree with me too.

End of discussion afaic.
Wasn't disagreeing with you that should have taken some marks, especially when Paddy was on a lead and it went straight to him. But pressure is always a factor in modern day footy. A defenders job is to put pressure on forwards the entire game. So the idea that it was like the boys dropping marks in a game of kick to kick, where only skill matters is a stupid comment. And if you don't want to stupid answers asked, don't bring stupid things

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
The_President
Club Player

Go onto the Saints Facebook page and look at the "best bits" video that was posted on the 29th.

It's all the goals we kicked... Paddy is almost involved in all of them.

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_President wrote:Go onto the Saints Facebook page and look at the "best bits" video that was posted on the 29th.

It's all the goals we kicked... Paddy is almost involved in all of them.
Your really pushing this point Donny, which is great and a very true. Some people will just never give Paddy credit, cause, he's not fit enough, too fat, too slow etc, etc, I say it's all bulls*** as far as im concerned, give the kid a break and let him evolve!!!!!

Step in the right direction on Saturday as far as im concerned!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
sainter45
Club Player

It is a really good sign that these two very young players are dropping chest marks. It means they are getting to the right places and being in the right place is the hardest thing to learn in football. The rest will come with time and experience.

stonecold
SS Life Member

sainter45 wrote:It is a really good sign that these two very young players are dropping chest marks. It means they are getting to the right places and being in the right place is the hardest thing to learn in football. The rest will come with time and experience.
Yeap ol' 45, and confidence will help too!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint_J wrote:

Couple of rubber boys.

last year if you had noticed all paddy did was cluck them. This year has been very opposite. Paddy will come good.
Hope so.