Team v dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v dogs

skeptic wrote: The thing is, if you bring in 2016 Mav into this team... it's pbly the difference btw where we are and top 4 for us at this point.
Was he really that good last year that he would elevate us from ninth to top 4?

16 touches, 3.8 tackles, 4 marks & 1.1 goals compared to this year 18 touches, 3 tackles, 4.6 marks and 0.9 goals

Mav is a good honest battler who is now a bit down on form and probably fortunate that we don't have anyone pressing in the VFL.

Wombat15
Club Player

Superboot wrote:I reckon Mav's playing injured. Not moving freely and is trying to hide a limp.
If thats the case the medicos at the club shouldve/needed to pick/ed it up and shouldnt be selected. hes had a pretty bad year. Just needs to go back to the crash and bash half forward that he was last year. trying to be too flashy this year.

I kinda get the idea of going "small" against the dogs. they have a plethora of runners across the backline. whats the point in playing 2.5 talls against that. (.5 is membrey as he plays tall but height says otherwise). so the mosquito fleet concept may work. Big chance for paddy to fire up though, has to be aggressive at the contest. If hes not going to be a workhorse like bruce or agile like skunk he needs to be the ol skool dont mess with me FF who will charge a contest i.e Browny, G-Train etc. Just gotta start getting clean entries into the 50 all well and good to statistically beat sides at going inside 50 but have to get clean entries.

My big "take"on paddy is hes stuck on 2 goal yips. Hes never kicked more than 2 goals in a game (at AFL Level) i believe and it would be a weight off his shoulders if he got over that hump. Billings looks like a new footballer since he kicked 5.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

It may have been a mistake to put Mav into the leadership group.
He needs to just concentrate on getting himself right, he now has distractions of leadership
as well as this Mav's World thing.

Leadership is time-consuming. It involves organising things like school clinics
(I spent 6 years doing event management for the company social club, and it's more than a few phone calls and emails, let me tell ya)
having long talks with very young players, giving them advice, maybe driving to collect them for training and matches,
having meetings with other leaders on various topics...

Folks have made comments about guys being distracted by going onto the Footy Show, that's nothing compared to what a leader has to do.

It hasn't helped his game, and I reckon it's affected his preparation badly

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Come on Billy, it is time to really shine.

If he is fair dinkum he should dominate English a young kid playing his first game and Boyd who will be reverting you would expect to more the ruck forward role.

So it may well be Longer vs English and Boyd vs Gilbert.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
skeptic wrote: The thing is, if you bring in 2016 Mav into this team... it's pbly the difference btw where we are and top 4 for us at this point.
Was he really that good last year that he would elevate us from ninth to top 4?

16 touches, 3.8 tackles, 4 marks & 1.1 goals compared to this year 18 touches, 3 tackles, 4.6 marks and 0.9 goals

Mav is a good honest battler who is now a bit down on form and probably fortunate that we don't have anyone pressing in the VFL.

If he'd played well in a few of those games it's not unlikely that we could have pinched wins in 2 of the games we lost...
And those stats don't measure his impact which I feel was strong last year

loris
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Come on Billy, it is time to really shine.

If he is fair dinkum he should dominate English a young kid playing his first game and Boyd who will be reverting you would expect to more the ruck forward role.

Change made - Roughead now in - gives them another big man who can ruck.

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Come on Billy, it is time to really shine.

Change made - Roughead now in - gives them another big man who can ruck.
And our selected team looks even more out its depth

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights