Flat Hands

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Flat Hands

Hmmmm.

Did anyone else hear Jonathan Brown in today's commentary talking about Josh Bruce's marking and saying that he goes at it with 'flat hands'?

I found that interesting.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Flat Hands

Not sure there's a treatment for that. As a rule they either have good hands or they don't. Valuable player all the same.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I turn the sound down.

But if Jono Brown says it, I believe him rather than people on here suffering from Blue Sky affliction.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
twirlyhair
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:Hmmmm.

Did anyone else hear Jonathan Brown in today's commentary talking about Josh Bruce's marking and saying that he goes at it with 'flat hands'?

I found that interesting.
I have thought that for a long time about Bruce. Interestingly, he seems to clunk the ball more effectively when further up the ground as opposed to when he is in the arc. Highlights why we really need Paddy to come on. Which he will.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Better flat hands than flat feet, especially in the modern game.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
shrodes
SS Life Member

It's his brain being pulled between rucking and marking... rucking - flat hands to tap to a teammate

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Did he mention whether it was confidence or a technical issue. Deliberate or a fault in his game?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Did he mention whether it was confidence or a technical issue. Deliberate or a fault in his game?
No.

Just observed it as an issue.

He would gave observed McCartin doing it too if he'd played.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

McCartin doesn't have flat hands. Stupid statement. He has beautiful hands. What the hell are you watching?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:McCartin doesn't have flat hands. Stupid statement. He has beautiful hands. What the hell are you watching?
He can have very good hands. Which is why it was puzzling and frustrating to see him drop so many.

Rewinding the tapes of these dropped marks over several games (I did the same for Bruce) I noticed what Brown commented on yesterday - they both go too flat handed at too many contests.

The question isn't whether they do it or not, its a fact that they do. It's on tape. You can watch it for yourself. The question is why do they do it?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Yep such flat hands

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Yep such flat hands
An entire season of highlights and there's 3 examples in there??

Come on Bluthy, terrible effort.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The opposition worked that out last year and that's why he hasn't been as good as 2015.

Stops the ball with flat hands and then tries to grab it on the way down.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milne
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:The opposition worked that out last year and that's why he hasn't been as good as 2015.

Stops the ball with flat hands and then tries to grab it on the way down.
Bruce is great on the lead and in a one on one contest.

Given that this style of marking is less effective in the typical two or three on one contests that Bruce has been facing, do we need to adjust the game plan and stop bombing it so much to Bruce?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You do realise they train that?... so the fall of the ball is predictable... they have a lot of drills that require them to slap it forward to emulate a mark being spoiled. They try to get it to the front of the pack, so our small no where to run to... its a silly thing to practice as it can lead to bad habits imo
I believe if you can get two hands to the footy, you try and Mak it!!!

Suggesting rucking influences marking is strange? You Ruck with one hand, where the umpire throws it up... you mark with two hands from a kick... Gary Dempsey, Simon Madden and a few other ruckmen had no problems marking, and they rucked more than 5 mins a qtr

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You do realise they train that?... so the fall of the ball is predictable... they have a lot of drills that require them to slap it forward to emulate a mark being spoiled. They try to get it to the front of the pack, so our small no where to run to... its a silly thing to practice as it can lead to bad habits imo

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote:I turn the sound down.

But if Jono Brown says it, I believe him rather than people on here suffering from Blue Sky affliction.
Well Jonathon Brown has had plenty to say about us recently. That our spine is really good, he has marvelled at our defensive structures and has said that we're a Fyfe away from Premiership contention. All in the last week, oh and I forgot, he's also recently said that McCartin will be a star.

So I guess he's joined the Blue Sky brigade.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:

Well Jonathon Brown has had plenty to say about us recently. That our spine is really good, he has marvelled at our defensive structures and has said that we're a Fyfe away from Premiership contention. All in the last week, oh and I forgot, he's also recently said that McCartin will be a star.

Yes the other week Jono Brown, said the Saints have gone about their recruiting the right way....... getting their spine sorted out, which he says they have picked wisely ....... then you go for the midfielders, through draft or FA.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Linton Lodger wrote:

Don't be facetious.

I am saying that Jono Brown on his day was unbeatable, and was a great CHF, so he knows what he is talking about.
He's not of the Blue Sky mindset, he's just giving an opinion.
I don't know whether he's purchased a Medallion Membership package, he might be a big fan.
But I trust his judgement before any keyboard warriors on here

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Being great... means you have ability

Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett

Best two players I have ever seen... come across as knowing FA... sometimes being naturally awesome means you don't have to know much

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

Don't be facetious.

I am saying that Jono Brown on his day was unbeatable, and was a great CHF, so he knows what he is talking about.
He's not of the Blue Sky mindset, he's just giving an opinion.
I don't know whether he's purchased a Medallion Membership package, he might be a big fan.
But I trust his judgement before any keyboard warriors on here
I respect his opinion too. I've pointed out some of the observations he's made about us in the last two weeks.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

People don't seem to realise that he has been getting double-teamed almost every week since last year. In this happening, he actually has created a decoy. This is why guys like Membrey have been excelling up front. Having said that, it would be a bonus if he could hold a few more marks. I hope Jono Brown's observation is accurate, then Josh should be able to amend this fairly easily.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:People don't seem to realise that he has been getting double-teamed almost every week since last year. In this happening, he actually has created a decoy. This is why guys like Membrey have been excelling up front. Having said that, it would be a bonus if he could hold a few more marks. I hope Jono Brown's observation is accurate, then Josh should be able to amend this fairly easily.
Browns observation is accurate, I noticed it over a year ago! Josh won't fix it easily at all.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Sainternist wrote:People don't seem to realise that he has been getting double-teamed almost every week since last year. In this happening, he actually has created a decoy. This is why guys like Membrey have been excelling up front. Having said that, it would be a bonus if he could hold a few more marks. I hope Jono Brown's observation is accurate, then Josh should be able to amend this fairly easily.
Browns observation is accurate, I noticed it over a year ago! Josh won't fix it easily at all.
Surely, the skills coaches he works with are on to it. I don't understand how it would be difficult for him to remedy. Just teach him soft hands, like catching a cricket ball.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Vazelos
Club Player

Having soft hands from what I'm told is hard to teach it comes naturally.