The Redemption of Jake Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Redemption of Jake Carlisle

The lad is showing that he is becoming quite a reliable defender for our team. In a strange way, the year suspension may be a bit of a blessing in terms of his maturity. Sounds like he reall came to the realisation that he had to start towing the line if he wanted to continue playing AFL football and, so far, he has responded pretty well. Sure, I guess he hasn't exactly set the world on fire thus far, but I have been relatively impressed at what he has shown so far. He was very good against Collingwood and Brisbane. I'd like to see him get a shot in the forward line every so often. Perhaps rotating him with Bruce up forward could be an option?

Thoughts?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Redemption of Jake Carlisle

Interesting comments there Sainternist. I had my doubts as to the wisdom of recruiting Jake (particularly after seeing his notorious "snorting" video episode) but I have to say, that his attitude toward the club and improvement in of-field behaviour has been most heartening. I felt much the same way, when Lyon recruited Michael Gardiner from the West Coast Eagles. Gardiner repaid the clubs faith in him (in spades) and his injury in the drawn GF, and subsequent absence, played no little part in our demise the following week. I have to give credit to Lyon on that score, Gardiner was a good pick up. I think that Carlisle and Brown, along with Roberton will eventually form a formidable defensive unit for our beloved Saints. Yes, mate, I also would like to see the guy being given a stint up forward from time to time during games (unless of course he's doing a good job keeping an opposing KF quiet!) if for no other reason than to keep our opponents guessing! Good post pal!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I think Carlisle is coming along nicely. Our back-line is looking the best it has since the Lyon era.

I don't think we'll start seeing his best until after the bye. But so far, the signs are there as to why several clubs was peachy keen to nab him.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He is coming along nicely.

The only question for mine is whether may have been better off chasinga gun mid.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
realdeal
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:I think Carlisle is coming along nicely. Our back-line is looking the best it has since the Lyon era.

I don't think we'll start seeing his best until after the bye. But so far, the signs are there as to why several clubs was peachy keen to nab him.
I thought the comment about him in the Herald-sun on Monday was more than a bit harsh, saying he needs to lift... how many goals have been kicked on him this year? Not many, and the defense looks much stronger with he and Brown down there.
He didn't hold a couple of marks a would normally like him to but after a year off I'm very happy with his progress..

To the top
SS Life Member

Don't read Murdoch's rag but was the article written by Alcohol Anderson?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising, I hear what you say mate re: a "gun mid" however, a solid and dependable backline (in my humble opinion) is what EVERY premiership-winning side has as an absolute pre-requisite. I really wish that we'd had Max Hudghton playing in the 2009 GF, rather than Dawson, water under the bridge now, but Richo knows what's needed, and Ive a feeling that it starts at the backline!

longtimesaint
Club Player

Top key position players are gold -midfielders can always be added after the spine is in place.

One year will be our year
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

+1

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

Really liking what I'm seeing with big jake. Considering he has just come back from a year offfooty, and had an interrupted pre season with that hip injury, he could be very important for us later this year when he starts to hit the straps

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes, I've seen fleeting glimpses of what we can expect as "standard fare" from the big man this season. Some spoils at crucial stages, strong tackling and good reading of the game. Same story with Brown. If we can keep these guys injury free, then ( in my humble opinion) together with Dylan Roberton, we can be confident that the floggings of the past will become a rarer occurrence.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not sure that redemption can be achieved in five weeks.
Signs basically positive but long way to go.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

No one could argue with that, whiskers. The point however, is to see the positive steps made by Jake.

Vazelos
Club Player

Very happy with Bjg Jake... he has given us a strong presence at CHB.. how many times has he been outmarked.. I am impressed with his composure and he is very good under his knees.. will be a weapon for us moving forward.
Hasn't even played 100 games yet!!

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Amusing that many say Carlisle is coming along. As if he wasn't a gun before we even signed him! What are you surprised?

Geez, one stupid trivial, yes trivial, incident and people were writing him off. Just shows how intolerant we really are as a Society whilst we slap ourselves on the back for being so tolerant.

He was the best key defender in the land before we got him, hence the investment of a first round pick, he still is and always was a gun.

Glad some on here are waking up from their judgemental slumber.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:No one could argue with that, whiskers. The point however, is to see the positive steps made by Jake.
Jake's footy career narrative is very Dostoyevskyian.

realdeal
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:Amusing that many say Carlisle is coming along. As if he wasn't a gun before we even signed him! What are you surprised?

Geez, one stupid trivial, yes trivial, incident and people were writing him off. Just shows how intolerant we really are as a Society whilst we slap ourselves on the back for being so tolerant.

He was the best key defender in the land before we got him, hence the investment of a first round pick, he still is and always was a gun.

Pretty sure people are referring to his full year out of the game and how he picks up the pace etc, not his general ability.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Amusing that many say Carlisle is coming along. As if he wasn't a gun before we even signed him! What are you surprised?

Pretty sure people are referring to his full year out of the game and how he picks up the pace etc, not his general ability.
Yes, there was always the danger that a year out of the game may have been extremely disruptive to his game. However, it appears he used the time productively to work on his fitness and his own personal development, which is fantastic.

I also agree with LL in that that the condemnation towards his off-field indiscretions was some perhaps harsh vitriol. I was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. So far, so good. Fingers crossed he keeps up the good work.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

To the top wrote:Don't read Murdoch's rag but was the article written by Alcohol Anderson?
:lol:

I always love your work Triple T. (Especially what you continually manage to do, that none of the forum pedants have yet cottoned onto. :D )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:No one could argue with that, whiskers. The point however, is to see the positive steps made by Jake.
Jake's footy career narrative is very Dostoyevskyian.
Love it. New clubhouse leader in the intellectually rigorous references. Well done, sir! :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintbob
SS Life Member

Good KPP's are hard to find and I think we've landed a very good one in Jake.

He seems to have fitted in seemlessly down back and will only keep improving as the year goes on.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I'm a massive Carlisle fan, 24 months ago if I could choose any player to join us he'd have been in the top 3 or 4.

But to be totally truthful, I've been a little disappointed in his year so far. Cutting him some slack due to his year off and surgery recovery, but he is better than what he is playing. Not quite sticking them, for a guy with proven super hands in the air.

Hurts a touch more seeing Hibberd totally dominate in his first demons outing. Carlisle was/is a superior player, but hibberd was enormous on Monday night and looks a super pick up.

Both better away from Essendon in any case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:I'm a massive Carlisle fan, 24 months ago if I could choose any player to join us he'd have been in the top 3 or 4.

But to be totally truthful, I've been a little disappointed in his year so far. Cutting him some slack due to his year off and surgery recovery, but he is better than what he is playing. Not quite sticking them, for a guy with proven super hands in the air.

Hurts a touch more seeing Hibberd totally dominate in his first demons outing. Carlisle was/is a superior player, but hibberd was enormous on Monday night and looks a super pick up.

Both better away from Essendon in any case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm reasonably pleased with Jake. Hasn't torn it up yet, but seems to be doing the jobs he's been assigned. Like you, Sobraz, I'm a fan and was pleased we landed him. I'd love AR to unleash him forward and into the ruck. Josh Bruce can return to the back half. I think it's worth a shot.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote: I'm reasonably pleased with Jake. Hasn't torn it up yet, but seems to be doing the jobs he's been assigned. Like you, Sobraz, I'm a fan and was pleased we landed him. I'd love AR to unleash him forward and into the ruck. Josh Bruce can return to the back half. I think it's worth a shot.
One of the reasons he wanted out of Essendope was to get out of the forwardline

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
White Winmar wrote: I'm reasonably pleased with Jake. Hasn't torn it up yet, but seems to be doing the jobs he's been assigned. Like you, Sobraz, I'm a fan and was pleased we landed him. I'd love AR to unleash him forward and into the ruck. Josh Bruce can return to the back half. I think it's worth a shot.
One of the reasons he wanted out of Essendope was to get out of the forwardline
Indeed, but this is us now, not the dopers. Players getting paid millions of dollars play where the coach wants them to. I would hope Jake is professional enough to do what is best for the team. I doubt AR would do anything this risky, but he'd be better in the dual role than Bruce, who's giving us very little ATM.