Tom Lee.....exit with dignity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

Re: Tom Lee.....exit with dignity

White Winmar wrote:Another Pelchen success! Pick 12 for Nathan Wright, in effect, who will struggle to get a game this year. Four years worth of value for pick twelve. Pelchen is a genius. Just ask him!
well looking back at that draft, best available at 12 were Grundy and ... Membrey
We had already traded for Hickey in that draft... so who we SHOULD HAVE picked with hindsight was Membrey

So, yes it was an error to take Lee, in hindsight. But by luck, it did not cost us.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Good luck to T. Lee.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WW channeling plugs & BM in one thread. Love it!

He forgot to mention TDL. What a gun he wasn't.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Jethro Tull's 1st hit:

"LIVING IN THE PAST"

Build a bridge WW and get over it!
What genius! Next you'll tell me to swallow some concrete and harden up. What does it feel like to be a mindless sheep, parroting the words of others, Trev? Can you come up with something original? I'm not holding my breath. :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
1965 Saint
Club Player

Please children

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

1965 Saint wrote:Please children
Indeed.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

White Winmar wrote:Another Pelchen success! Pick 12 for Nathan Wright, in effect, who will struggle to get a game this year. Four years worth of value for pick twelve. Pelchen is a genius. Just ask him!

Why so angry? Are we never, ever allowed to get a pick wrong? IF so you will be disappointed in the future because the stats say many more recruits don't make it long term than do make it.

At the time the strategy was valid, the gaping hole in our list meant we needed to turn one pick into multiple young players and maximise the "churn" in order to change the age demographic of our list in the shortest possible time. We did the same with Seb Ross, taking a slide on a pick and getting in multiple players for the one original pick, but you don't seem to have an issue with that one, maybe because it worked (hmmm, somewhat selective yes).....

This one didn't work in the long term but we seem to be healing our list just fine, so why the angst?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Of course, it is too easy to overlook the gracious manner in which Tom Lee has left the Saints. I always liked him but despaired for the fact that he appeared to have too small a fuel tank to be successful at AFL level. Well done Tom, you had a crack and gave it your very best. Good luck wherever you go with your football.

Of course, he could have been an all time great of the Saints barring the fact that the evil Pelican was at the club when he was drafted. No doubt had he not been involved we would have selected an out and out champion.

Or a complete dud.

My point is, it's history. If posters wish to continually bring up what-ifs, near misses or complete disasters involving StKilda then they will never run out of reference material. That's not me, I am looking to 2017 and beyond. Tommy Lee will be consigned to the memory of a player who gave his all to make StKilda a force in the AFL but had to make way for somebody the Club deemed better.

Good luck Tom.

Saint supporter since '62
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Tom Lee.....exit with dignity

Good luck to Tom; I hadn't realised he had two ankle recos on top of the two shoulder recos.
Will always wonder what might have been if his body had helped him out along the way.

Always loyal
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Of course, it is too easy to overlook the gracious manner in which Tom Lee has left the Saints. I always liked him but despaired for the fact that he appeared to have too small a fuel tank to be successful at AFL level. Well done Tom, you had a crack and gave it your very best. Good luck wherever you go with your football.

Of course, he could have been an all time great of the Saints barring the fact that the evil Pelican was at the club when he was drafted. No doubt had he not been involved we would have selected an out and out champion.

Or a complete dud.

My point is, it's history. If posters wish to continually bring up what-ifs, near misses or complete disasters involving StKilda then they will never run out of reference material. That's not me, I am looking to 2017 and beyond. Tommy Lee will be consigned to the memory of a player who gave his all to make StKilda a force in the AFL but had to make way for somebody the Club deemed better.

Good luck Tom.
Good post, Trev. I have no angst about the list anymore. We are in very good hands now, IMHO. We're building an outstanding list. Add an elite FA and a couple of first rounders and the planned rebuild will be complete. That flag by 2020 looks a distinct possibility. 2004 dejavu.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A shame he had such rotten luck with injuries. Hope he has better luck for the future.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Apart from all of that, it was definitely time for him to go, someone else now gets their turn to strut their stuff and try
and prove they have what it takes, not all players get 2 goes at it, not very many at all fail twice and then get a 3rd go.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?