Season review: Jack Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Season review: Jack Billings

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-09-2 ... k-billings

Season Review: Jack Billings

Smooth mover Jack Billings thrived on the MCG this season, polling best and fairest votes in all three games at the ground.
After managing only nine games in 2015 due to a lingering shin injury, St Kilda young gun Jack Billings was exposed to plenty of senior football in 2016, with the highly rated midfielder taking the next step in his development.

Although it wasn’t all smooth sailing for the former No. 3 pick, with an ankle injury striking after an impressive start to the season.

Billings shone on the MCG in Round 3, collecting a career-high 30 disposals on a day where the Saints paid homage to the 1966 premiership side. He found another 27 touches a week later against Hawthorn in Tasmania and was impressive in the win over Melbourne in Round 6.

But not long after that, an ankle injury restricted Billings’ output and ultimately forced the classy wingman out of Alan Richardson’s side for an extended period.

The 21-year-old returned to the senior side in Round 17 and put a frustrating patch behind him by playing the final seven games of the season to build some momentum into the pre-season in the process.

Billings polled votes in the Trevor Barker Award in four of the final five games, with the pick of his final month coming on the wide expanses of the MCG against Richmond. After a quiet opening half, Billings accumulated 12 possessions in the third quarter and 20 for the second half to help lead the Saints to a gritty win in Round 22.

Alan Richardson’s Views:

“‘JB’ had an interrupted early part to the year with his ankle. We probably brought him back into the team a little bit too early and he found himself going out of the team. But he just wasn’t quite right physically for a period in the early part of the year. But I though the built really well into the year. We all know that ‘JB’ has some elite qualities with respect to gaining possession and his use of the ball, we started to see him mark the ball a lot more – the Carlton game was a good example of that early. Because he’s played most of his footy with us as a forward he needed to sharpen up a little bit around the ball in terms of his understanding of his role and what he needed to do at stoppage and that improved weekly.

“He’ll benefit enormously from another pre-season; he’s really only had one pre-season, so we’re looking forward to getting a lot of work into him this summer, to get him stronger and to make him an even better athlete than what he already is. We think he can go to another level with his footy if he can have a really strong pre-season. He’s got to continue to work on the midfield components of his play, he’s predominantly played forward, so he’ll continue to learn about midfield play, the running patterns, the structures. So he’ll improve there but his biggest growth will come from his strength and his endurance improvements. He’s already a pretty good athlete, but as he starts to go to an elite level in those areas then his footy will follow.”
========================================================================================

We apologise - your Billing has been delayed. But when it arrives it will be huge - so prepare yourself. Your patience is appreciated.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Season review: Jack Billings

He will be a gun, I have thought this since his first season and his demolition of the Bulldogs last year was evidence of that. All we need is patience and all he needs is to get his body right.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

He has the talent & has shown it in a few games. Hopefully he doesn't become the new Kosi. Waiting for that breakout season & reminiscing the month of footy he played in 2005 (Billings' game against the Dogs last year).

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Of course, a positive analysis.

I don't think he had a good year at all. However, next year he probably will, as I expect him to improve dramatically.
His tank must improve!!!

resaintlee
Club Player

While people will more probably recognise a change from a poor Betts to a really good Betts. The odds of a Billings following a Ball seems to becoming more likely. If so I would expect a breakout year to follow. I do so hope I am wrong.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:While people will more probably recognise a change from a poor Betts to a really good Betts. The odds of a Billings following a Ball seems to becoming more likely. If so I would expect a breakout year to follow. I do so hope I am wrong.
I think you will be proved wrong. Ball was cut down by injuries but was still a good footballer. Probably better at Collingwood

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
suss
Club Player

Generous. Great footage of him on fox footy during the year showing how he gets burnt by fitter players. Either lazy, or no tank. Needs to fix whatever the problem is in the off season.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Good to see our much improved form at the MCG - we've won our last four, and four out of our last five at the home of football. I think Billings is going to be a great player for us for ten years.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Of course, a positive analysis.

His tank must improve!!!
No doubt, 1 preseason is 1 preseason - generally not enough to build a tank.

But when it does improve & Gresham's improves, it will be a case of watch out.

At the moment people can lather themselves up in excitement about The Bont (they're already overrating him and Libratore is far better anyway) all they like. Jack & Gresh will go past him.

resaintlee
Club Player

Jaxons has just said that billings is a long way short of the potential he showed as a junior.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:Jaxons has just said that billings is a long way short of the potential he showed as a junior.
came as a number three. on form shown so far wouldn't go top ten. shown glimpses, needs to show it every week.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Wombat15
Club Player

suss wrote:Generous. Great footage of him on fox footy during the year showing how he gets burnt by fitter players. Either lazy, or no tank. Needs to fix whatever the problem is in the off season.
Yeah looked like he took a couple of steps back this year. didnt look as explosive at all this year compared to earlier years. Im willing to accept he could be Dal 2.0 and not be a hard ball getter but the kid needs to improve on the outside if this is the case. considering 2013 will be the telling draft if we are to contend in the next 4 years this kid needs to be the difference. was touted to be our next poster boy and hasnt delivered. but like seb ross im willing to wait and see what the kids got.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dal won plenty of hard ball..

“Yeah….nah””
Wombat15
Club Player

i meant as in their games arent defined by winning their own ball.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In 2011 Dal was our leading inside mid, without Lenny, Ball gone, Armo getting shafted... Dal stepped up

Sometimes contested ball number are positionally determinant as well as player